Knowledge is the key to doors opening.

Friday, May 10, 2013

In response to "New Truancy Laws"

I responded to Katherine Turcios blog regarding "New Truancy Laws" on her blog Texas Will Be Texas.

I would agree with you Katherine but I would caution the way you categorize the children with special needs as “them” it may bother families with children with special needs even upsetting them.

My brother was special needs and attended school in Williamson County. I'm interested in what county this incident happened in. We all know that Williamson County is tough and my brother missed a lot of school due to his Cerebral Palsies, seizures, and other medical conditions and when the truancy judge received the information on my brother being special needs he disregarded the charges. With that said I think it falls on the judge and their decision to fill charges on children with special needs or not.

If they loosen up the laws all students will take advantage of the more lenient laws. Williamson County did so for my brother and other counties should have judges who understand that there are exceptions to every law and a child with special needs and their health is a major exception to the truancy law.

No comments:

Post a Comment